Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Glad I kept these old chairs!

I did get around to re-doing 1 of the old Veneer chairs that I have left from a dining room set that belonged to my mother-in-law years ago.  The table and hutch have long been gone, but for some reason I chose to keep a couple of the chairs.  I wrote about re-doing our room above the garage as an office/craft room.  A couple of weeks ago I saw the perfect accent chair at Marshall's.  It was a robins egg blue upholstery with silver riveting and black legs (would have matched beautifully, but the cost was $130 - way more than I wanted to spend).  So I had to improvise and immediately thought about these old chairs.  I went to Hancocks, but they did not have the fabric that I wanted.  So for those of you who know me, patience is not a virtue of mine.  I sprayed the chair with the Rustoleum Heirloom white, it did ok on the Veneer - not great.  I went over it with some Early American stain with a stain rag and then wiping it off with a clean rag.  The stain just softened the spray paint.  Once it was completely dry, I took sandpaper and just roughed it up some and that gave it a weathered look. At this time, I still did not have fabric, but I did have an old quilted sham that I bought from the thrift store for $1.50.  I took the seat off and just slid the sham on and folded it towards the back.  It was a snug fit in the chair.  I thought I was going to have to staple the sham to secure it but I didn't have to, which makes for easy removal for washing or switching the color......AGAIN!  It's not the Robin's Egg Blue Chair, but it did cost less than $5.00 to re-do - SO that WORK'S for now. 
1 of 2 Veneer Chairs


Re-do on Old Veneer Chair



No comments:

Post a Comment